--------------------Welcome!

The Lord has blessed our family greatly both through adoption and birth. And because there are so many personalities in our family there is much to think about. This blog is a way to put some of those thoughts down and share our journey.



I hope that my words spur you on, encourage you on a so-so day, and point you to the Lord.


Monday, March 9, 2009

Number 4, 5, & 6 on my List (see previous post)

4. You've been praying for your new child before you even started the paperchasing. Some countries allow you to send pictures of your family before you complete the adoption, but many to most adoptive children have no idea who their new family is prior to meeting them. So while you are ready to love on them and become a family sometimes they have to catch up first.

5. We have found it very helpful to remind our kids that we were adopted by God when we put our faith in Christ. So while we weren't adopted by our earthly parents our Heavenly Father brought us into His family "while we were yet sinners". This is a great reminder to us that we were not sinless or even close to perfect (still aren't) when the Lord took us in. And when I meditate on that fact it gives me more compassion for my earthly children.

6. It was wonderful that we had the opportunity to be in Guatemala 3 times in a year. It gave me a great perspective on some of what Nathan would go through. The sounds, the smells (diesel fuel!), the food; it was all so different and took extra energy for me to adapt. When I consider that he did all this and then his daily caretaker not only changed in appearance but in the language she spoke - no wonder it took him a little bit to respond to our voices.

6a. When I think about our foster children they didn't come from a differenct country but very much about their culture was just as different. The way we ate dinner, where they slept, the clothes they wore. Many foster children come to your home with a kroger bag of their "stuff". What did they play with, did they have a blanket? Even the way we spoke, though the same language, really wasn't the same "language". They needed time to adjust as well.

Forgive me for continuing on my soapbox, but I am on a roll and I can't seem to clear my mind of all of this, so I am using my blog as self-induced therapy. Hoping that once I put this in print that I can step back from thinking about it. Hang in there with me!

No comments: