--------------------Welcome!

The Lord has blessed our family greatly both through adoption and birth. And because there are so many personalities in our family there is much to think about. This blog is a way to put some of those thoughts down and share our journey.



I hope that my words spur you on, encourage you on a so-so day, and point you to the Lord.


Friday, March 7, 2008

Our Oldest


Since I started this blog as an outlet for my thoughts during our latest adoption I haven't given much detail about our family. While we are waiting through the last stages of bringing home Nathan I thought I might share a little about the rest of the clan. (of course as soon as we hear updates about Nathan so will you all!)

Last night I went with our oldest daughter shopping for a prom dress. That's an experience! You look at dresses entirely differently when your daughter is wearing them. We had a great talk in the car about what to look for in a dress. I'm not sure the word "modesty" applies to prom dresses this season. You used to have to watch how the front of the dress is cut, but now you have to be careful about how low the back of the dress is cut too! Since Allison is certain her dad would have her wearing a snowsuit to prom, (complete with hat, mittens, and boots) having her think through if it would be okay with Dad wasn't a good fit. I came up with a new measuring tool: if she could wear the dress in front of our Pastor and be comfortable it would probably pass the test for her dad. (He has seen the dress on the hanger, but not on his daughter yet). Ken is very aware that our little girl is growing up and when he sees her in this dress, any possible remaining doubts will be gone. I should tell you that she is going with a group of friends - no dates, something they decided they would do their senior year. This takes a lot of the pressure off!

Allison was recently given the honor of being the Student Servant Leader of the Year by a local organization. She really has a heart for service and for reaching people for Christ. We have wondered at times what Allison 'really thinks' about our large family, it adds to her responsibilities at home. When we were visiting colleges she made an interesting comment to me. She told me that she didn't want to go too far away because she didn't want to be the big sister that left and her younger siblings wouldn't know. She said, "you know mom, Molly, Brandon, and Nathan are still little and I want them to know me." What a young lady and a great sister! I know that her attitude is a testimony to her faith in the Lord.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

It seems like in the beginning of parenting we had all these great ideas-some we have kept, others we have discarded. The Lord has been so kind to us, leading Ken and I as we have sought to be purposeful parents. Parenting is another of those topics that we have brought before the Lord on our knees often.

Note: The picture of Allison and Ken is from our mission trip to Guatemala last summer. Any "Big Ten" fans will notice their shirts - when Allison came home from buying her t-shirt it was sitting on our kitchen table. Later on she was looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere, her dad had put it out in the garage - he was disturbed that a child of his would wear anything but the Illini! heehee

2 comments:

Angel said...

What a jewel you have there. She is precious. This made me smile because my hubby did his MBA at The University of Michigan. :0) Angel

Unknown said...

Hi Amy: Just checking in on the blog. I got teary eyed reading about Allison. As you know, today has been a little emotional for me. Wondering about the size of our family and what God might have in store for us. Your blog was a real encouragemnet. Although I am certain, I'm not "wired" like Amy P!. Thanks for the update. Monica