--------------------Welcome!

The Lord has blessed our family greatly both through adoption and birth. And because there are so many personalities in our family there is much to think about. This blog is a way to put some of those thoughts down and share our journey.



I hope that my words spur you on, encourage you on a so-so day, and point you to the Lord.


Monday, August 13, 2007

Walking with a Toddler


(Not wanting to leave today on a sad note)... I am trying to increase the amount of exercise I get, I need to. For some time Ken and I have gotten up and walked in the morning but we have gotten out of the habit with the heat and our recent trip.

I decided that I would walk without him, so after he had left for work I went downstairs to sneak out before the day got too crazy. As I went through the kitchen Brandon (4) saw me and asked if he could go with me. At first I thought no, but we had been gone for a week and I thought it would be an opportunity to multi-task; spend time with Brandon and get a little exercise. Brandon ran to put some clothes on and get his shoes.

I met him outside and looked at his feet seeing that he had put on his flip-flops: he loves his flip-flops! Thinking, not too clearly early in the day, what can it hurt if he wears them, we began our walk.
Past the first house, he had a rock in his "shoe"-we stop. A couple of houses later one of his flip-flops come off-we stop. "Is that a toad, mom?"-we stop. I think you get the picture. At this point I am getting a little frustrated. Why didn't I get up earlier? Why didn't I say no to having a walking partner? Why can't we just keep moving?

As these thoughts came to my mind I felt a nudging in my heart. There was a lesson here to learn but not for Brandon. The Lord used much of our walk to remind me that He asks me to walk with Him everyday and sometimes my walk is not at the pace the Lord is wanting. At times I let the busyness in my day set the pace. I need to start my day in God's Word because that is where I get my marching orders for today.
The Lord has fitted my feet with the "readiness that comes from the gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15)-not only do I have the perfect shoes, I am ready to walk. Yet, I allow "rocks" in my shoes to stop me along the way. Somedays I hesitate, looking at other things going on around me at times at the cost of watching where I am walking. I have the perfect walking partner when I am walking closely with the Lord.
I thought I needed physical exercise but really I needed a gentle reminder to stay close to my Lord each day, watching what He is pointing out to me along the way. I need to be even more excited to spend time with the Lord than Brandon was to take a walk with me, anxious to see what the Lord will show me along His path.
As for physical exercise, I'll have to go another time.

2 comments:

La Familia Armstrong said...

Wow, Amy!!!

Your blog looks GREAT!!! I just found out about it from Whitney's blog.

We are thankful for your friendship!!!

Love, Julie

Amy said...

Sorry about the spacing in this post, I am still learning.