--------------------Welcome!

The Lord has blessed our family greatly both through adoption and birth. And because there are so many personalities in our family there is much to think about. This blog is a way to put some of those thoughts down and share our journey.



I hope that my words spur you on, encourage you on a so-so day, and point you to the Lord.


Thursday, October 4, 2007

Spinning Out of Control?


Sometimes it feels that things are spinning out of control. Yesterday my mom found out that her cancer has returned with a vengeance, requiring a trip to M.D.Anderson for some type of treatment. We got a call last night that Ken's mom had been hospitalized but was doing better. And yesterday Guatemala took a step to put into process a law that, unless amended, may make it difficult to get our little boy and thousands of other "in-process" children home to their forever families. It feels at times like things are spinning out of control.

I find great comfort in knowing that the Lord who created the universe, placing the stars in the sky, is in control of all things. Yes, all things.

"God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day
and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth."
Genesis 1:16-17

Honestly, this could be a discouraging time (that may be an understatement) if I kept my mind on all the difficulties. I am working at trusting the Lord and keeping my focus on Him, taking the days one at a time. Scripture is so good to provide ways for me to keep my mind on Him. I desire the "perfect peace" that I can only find in the Lord.

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

My desire through this time is to glorify the Lord, because it is only through Him that we are not close to despair. May my reactions show others my love for the Lord. If you feel so inclined you could pray for our family and the families of the thousands of other children in Guatemala that are waiting. Please pray for me to be the support that my mom and siblings need as we see what lies ahead.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting
away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen
is eternal." II Corinthians 4:16-18


So, while I feel a little woozy with all of this, I am assured that nothing has spun out of the Lord's control.

5 comments:

David and Marianne said...

Praise the Lord we have a God who does not sleep! We will be praying for your mother and for you....and of course for the thousands of children and families at the mercy of the hands of governments. We can take heart that He is the TRUE advocate for the fatherless and He will bring justice! love, Marianne

Bekah said...

wow you have a lot going on. thanks for your beautiful and trusting response and for reminding me of some of my absolute favorite passages of scripture. praying these babies home...

Whitney said...

It seems the adoption process is more than just faith in the Lord to work out the details to bring the right child to just the right family. You are allowing God to have control over so much more, and so many of us are being tested in other areas of our life, too. We are praying for your family, and it is okay to call us! :)

Stephanie said...

I will be praying for you and your family during this time. It is hard to understand God's plans at times, but it is always perfect. (I keep trying to tell myself this:)
Praying for you,
Stephanie

La Familia Armstrong said...

Hi Amy,

We will be praying for you and these requests.

You are special to us!!!

Love, Julie